Monday, January 5, 2015

Its a New Years Miracle! (AKA my Husband re-thinks his Hatred of Mushrooms)


It isn't just the Cake that's a lie any more, my friends! these mashed potatoes are about 75% Cauliflower. and my Father in law said he couldn't tell the difference!

my family has rated this meal a 4.5 out of 5, so its going in my list of things to cook again.

Steak and Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy

(recipe was acquired from the magazine Eat to Beat Diabetes ( with a few minor changes to suit my family's tastes) and makes 4 servings)

4 four oz steaks (I used 2 eight oz steaks, but that's just me)
dash of salt and pepper on each (original recipe calls only for 1/4 teaspoon of salt) 

You can cook the steaks on a grill, in the oven, however you would normally cook them. I usually cook mine to an internal temp of 145, or medium rare. on my cast iron skillet it only took about 8-10 minutes. When they're done, let them cool a bit so they don't loose their moisture, and slice them thin. (I saved the juices off the cast iron skillet i used and poured it right into the almost finished gravy. it was amazing)

1 1/4 cups reduced sodium beef broth (i used closer to 2 cups. I'm bad...)
1 teaspoon minced garlic ( i used 2 cloves. one clove is about a teaspoon from what i can tell.)
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
4 teaspoons flour (original recipe calls for corn starch instead. but i like flour. also i sift it in)

Put a 1/4 of a cup broth into a pan along with the garlic and let it simmer for a bit, than add the mushrooms. Cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes. mix the remaining broth in with the flour and add it into the pan (i used a whisk and sifted the flour into the broth) cook and stirr until thickened. (i also added the drippings off the cast iron skillet into it,)

6 cups cauliflower ( i just used an entire head of cauliflower)
12 oz potatoes (i had no idea how to estimate this. the bag i bought was 48 oz redskin potatoes so i used about 1/4th of the bag, cubed, it came out to about 2 cups)
1/2 a cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons fresh parsley

Cube the potatoes and break up the cauliflower. Recipe says to boil these two together for about 25 minutes with the onions, than beat with an electric mixer. because of a certain picky eater, cooked them separately, and used scallions instead of onion, adding that in at the end. I also just used a regular potato masher. I would have used my dad's ricer but i couldn't find it... add in the butter, salt pepper, and parsley and treat it as you would regular mashed potatoes.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

My husband hates mushrooms, even to the point that he has told people he's allergic. I think I've just changed his mind with this recipe. My picky eater got her cauliflower in a dish on the side (and i forgot to set aside some potato for her, so she got extra mushrooms) 
Husband : 4 ( less mushrooms, more steak. some people don't like changes to their eating habits)
The Hobbit: 5 (she even says that next time she'll steal some of my father in law's cauliflower mashed potatoes. maybe. don't push it.)
Father in law: 5 (always been a meat and potatoes man, but he'll eat just about anything. can't be a picky eater in the navy. HOWEVER! he said that it tasted just like normal mashed potatoes so i will take that as a huge win!)
Me: 4 (I've never been a fan of mushrooms, and normally i just pick them out. but this time i ate them . it was delicious, though i think the texture of mushrooms will take some getting used to)

All in all, this meal will be getting added to the list of things i'm making again!

No comments:

Post a Comment