Monday, January 5, 2015

Too Much Thyme on my Hands


After a fairly active day of shopping, rearranging the kitchen, and gutting the fridge of last year's leftovers, I settled down to do some fun things. I bought about 6 different types of herbs at the fresh market and proceeded to chop them all into little bits, than throw them in labeled freezer bags. now i'll have fresh herbs and i don't have to worry about finding them 2 months later in a very icky state in the back of my fridge. I also made myself Thyme sticks for when i make food in the crock pot.

Bundles of Thyme wrapped in thread that get pulled out either at the end, or part way through cooking. because pulling leaves off thyme is my least favorite activity. right beside running.

In any case, i now have Parsley, Thyme, Tarragon, Cilantro, Oregano, and Basil in my freezer ready to be used.

~ ~ ~ ~

For a recipe i'm doing later this week, (aka tomorrow) I required an unusual ingredient that they don't carry at my local grocery store. which is odd because there's a very large Indian community here. I needed yellow curry paste. i must have gone to 4 different stores looking for it, before finally venturing bravely into my local Indian food mart. 

I'm reminded a lot of high school, where the jocks had their hang outs, the nerds theirs, the goths theirs, and if you went into the wrong area, everyone knew you didn't belong and stared at you out of the corner of their eyes, watching you. yeah it was a little like that. but a really nice young man at the register assured me i was buying the right thing, and even gave me some tips on his favorite way to cook plantains, (which i saw and had to get, having been 7 years since i last had them). Long story short, Definitely going back there again. saw a bunch of things i want to cook. and eat. especially eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment